Sunday 11 October 2015

Poem "Limping, standing tall"

We all have struggles.  But struggling with God is another thing altogether.
The Bible is full of stories of men and women who wrestled with their faith - and with God - literally as well as metaphorically.
I wrote this after a long period of "wrestle" - which God won - because he is God and he WILL win (sooner or later), or cease to be God. It is my firm belief which I read from the Bible.
Identification with the Biblical figures comes from a life of reading the Bible and meditating on their honesty, joys, troubles, trials, mistakes and accomplishments.  They were human.  They speak to me.
Letting God speak through them is the key.


Limping standing tall:

I am Jonah. I am Peter.

I am Moses. I am Paul.

I have fought with God like Jacob -

Yes, I’ve limped like him –

and crawled.

I have doubted and I’ve ranted

and I’ve tried to do it all.

Then I listened and I wondered -

Now I’m answering Your call.

I am following You, Jesus -

Still I’m limping, standing tall;

For the touch You rent inside me,

makes regret of all my gall.

 

You have broken me, Lord Jesus –

put my back against the wall;

And I’ve stumbled and I’ve crumbled,

so towards You now I fall.

You are Saviour; You are Helper;

You are Guiding, Guarding Light;

You are Purifying Fire;

You are Comfort in the night.

 

Jesus help me, Jesus help me –

Help me! keep me, now I call.

Keep me close to You Lord Jesus –

You’re my everything, my All.


28.04.14 JCV

This poem won "Second Prize", senior division, in the Anglican Diocese of Brisbane inaugural 'Spoken Worship Poetry Competition', October 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment