Sunday 12 December 2021

Advent 2021 - Luke chapters 1 and 2

 Poems written during a Quiet Evening led by Vivienne Holt --- A Mary Christmas --- at Christ Church Cathedral, Darwin, Anglican Diocese of the Northern Territory.  32 degrees C; 7-9pm.

Reflecting on Annunciation and Incarnation  

Here I am

a servant of the Lord

Yes.

I surrender.

May it be

Let…

And – “how” is okay

too.

For there are questions

It is uncomfortable.

“The power of the Most High”.

I’m not God.

“He will be called Jesus”.

Let it be to me.

Let God

Yes, God

Again… and again

What does it mean?

[Mary hid all these things in her heart]

“A sword will pierce your own heart”.

A spear pierced his side.

How?

God knows.

© JCV 09 December 2021, Darwin.

-  - - - - - -- - - - - - -

 

I wonder how God puts up with all the questions.

Bruce Almighty ---- the massive whine that reaches from earth to God.

The moans of millions

The bickering of billions

How does God…

 

The shouts of so many

The murdering of multitudes

How does God…

 

God came down – one of us.

Slept, shit, suffered

(Shat?)

And still we accuse:

How does God???!?!?!?!?!

 

God does. God loves.

Because he has. God is love.

(And as I write, the foul language flies flies in from the street and echoes into the expanse of Christ Church Cathedral Darwin, where Black Jesus hangs on a cross for those who don’t know, but God does).

 

© JCV 09 December 2021, Darwin. 

-   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- -

The Annunciation and other pronouncements

(If I was Gabriel, frustrated already by Zechariah,

I would have had an attitude ready for Miss Mary)

 

But she’s just logical.

She’s different.

 

Her questions, her puzzlement,

her fear --- all very normal.

I, Gabriel, know this from

so much experience.

 

So, I’ll continue:

Joseph sees me in his dream

And gets up immediately and goes -

No questions asked.

 

There are other dreams and visions

In other times and places

But suffice to say, the Magi listened too, and obeyed.

 

And that’s what God is looking for.

Sure, you can discuss it

But don’t blame me for what happens next.

 

© JCV 09 December 2021, Darwin.


No comments:

Post a Comment